The MWHS Foreign-Language Department aspires to insure that all students acquire the necessary skills, values, and knowledge to compete successfully as productive citizens in a diverse global society by providing second language acquisition through the following processes:
• Communication – Use the skills of listening, speaking, reading, writing, viewing and showing
• Cultures – Gain knowledge and understanding of other cultures
• Connections – Make connections with other subject areas and acquire information
• Comparisons – Develop insight into the nature of language and culture by comparing the student’s own language and culture to another
• Communities – Participate in communities at home and around the world by using languages other than English
Why Study Spanish?
"Over the past two decades, countries in the world have become more and more interdependent, and technologies have erased existing borders.
As boundaries between countries are dissolved, foreign language instruction has become more necessary than ever for linking with the rest of the world and for producing an enlighted citizenship able to function in today's ever shrinking world.
(Furthermore,) foreign Language study enhances academic skills, raises SAT scores, and prepares students for careers."