Home of MWHS Skills USA
Mineral Wells High School
SkillsUSA Texas Association
The Purposes of this organization are:
- To assist local SkillsUSA members in their growth and development
- To unite in a common bond, without regard to race, sex, religion, creed or national origin, full-time students enrolled in classes with vocational trade and industrial, technical and health occupations education objectives
- To develop leadership abilities through participation in educational, vocational, civic, recreational and social activities
- To foster a deep respect for the dignity of work
- To assist students in establishing realistic vocational goals
- To help students attain a purposeful life
- To create enthusiasm for learning
- To promote high standards in all phases of occupational endeavor incuding trade ethics, workmanship, scholarship and safety
- To develop the ability of students to plan together, organize and carry out worthy activities and projects through the use of the democratic process
- To foster a wholesome understanding of the functions of labor and management organizations, and a recognition of their mutual independence
- To create among students, faculty members, patrons of the school and persons in industry a sincere interest in and esteem for trade, industrial, technical and health occupations education
- To develop patriotism through the knowledge of our nation’s heritage and the practice of democracy
- To emphasize the importance of continuous education to the needs of the individual and the requirements of his or her chosen occupations
SkillsUSA Fact Sheet
SkillsUSA programs also help to establish industry standards for job skill training in the lab and classroom, and promote community service. SkillsUSA is recognized by the U.S. Department of Education and is cited as a "successful model of employer-driven youth development training program" by the U.S. Department of Labor.
The Professional Development Program (PDP) teaches 84 workplace skill competencies in a series of hands-on self-paced lessons.
The Total Quality Curriculum (TQC) trains students through activity-based instruction in the quality improvement process used by industry. Student2Student Mentoring gives high school students a chance to mentor younger students in the area of career development.
CareerSafe is a credentialed 10-hour online training program developed in cooperation with the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) to provide students with basic knowledge of safety and a credential desired in the job market.
Workplace Readiness Certification demonstrates student attainment of employability skills. It requires successful completion of a written exam prepared with NOCTI (National Occupational Competency Testing Institute) and NASDCTEc, the consortium of state directors of Career and Technical Education.
For more information:
Thomas W. Holdsworth, Director Communications/Government Relations:Phone (703) 737-0607 • FAX: (703) 777-8999
Jane A. DeShong Short, Program Specialist Communications/Government Relations
Phone: (703) 737-0612 • FAX: (703) 777-8999